Attending Your First Meetup
Thinking about coming to your first freeCodeCamp Oklahoma meetup? Congratulations! You've taken the first step on your journey, and we are glad to see you! Going to a meetup can be intimidating at first, but it doesn't have to be. You can get an idea of what to expect by watching past meetups on Twitch and YouTube. Also, here are some tips for attending your first meetup.
What Should I Bring?
Nothing is required. However, for in-person meetups, pen and paper or laptop for taking notes is recommended.
What To Do When Attending
- Show up a few minutes early to meet and network with people before the talk starts.
- Be polite and respectful
- Keep the Code of Conduct in mind at FreeCodeCamp and any other Techlahoma meetups
- Feel free to bring any questions you might have to ask before or after the talks.
- Many of our talks are concept-based, and do not involve any coding
- Tip: Slack is also a great place to ask other members your questions
- Network and act professionally, as many members could be future coworkers or employers
- The event space needs to be vacated promptly after our alotted time (generally 3:00pm). Feel free to carry on conversations outside of the event space or elsewhere
What should I wear?
- Wear something comfortable
- Dress code is "very casual"
- Keep in mind that the room might be hotter or colder than outside
- Keep in mind that you might be meeting the person who gives you your next job!
- Make sure any logos, slogans, or garments are compliant with the Code of Conduct